Your doctor will take a medical history to understand your general state of health. As part of the medical history, your doctor will ask about any other conditions you may have.
Your doctor may ask you:
- If you take any medication
- If you smoke
- When and how much you drink
- If you drink much coffee or alcohol
- If you use recreational drugs on a regular basis
- If you ever had pelvic surgery
- If you have any heart and/or vascular problems
- If you have hormonal disorders
- If you have any psychological problems
Your doctor will also ask you questions about your sex life, which could be very personal but are necessary for proper diagnosis and treatment. Some of the questions could be:
- The status of your previous sexual relationships
- Your current sexual relationships
- Your current emotional state
- When the erectile problems started
- How long have the erectile problems lasted
- If you have seen another doctor specifically for ED
- If you have received treatment for ED before
Your doctor will ask you to describe the firmness and duration of your morning erections, and sexually stimulated ones. The doctor will also ask if you have problems with arousal, ejaculation, and orgasm.
If you have a sexual partner, it may be useful to attend this consultation together.