How do I prepare for the procedure?
How long will it take me to get back to my daily activities?
- You can usually leave the hospital on the day or 1 day after insertion of a midurethral sling. Two or three days may be needed after Burch colposuspension or implantation of an autologous fascial sling or an artificial urinary sphincter.
- Injection of bulking agents is often performed at a clinic or doctor’s office (outpatient setting).
- You may have to stay in the hospital longer if you are unable to urinate or your bladder is not emptying completely.
The recommended length of hospital stay varies between countries. Complete recovery from surgery may take up to 6 weeks. During this time, you may have pain in the pelvic area or when you urinate. Your doctor can prescribe medication for these symptoms.
- Drink 1–2 litres every day, especially water
- Do not lift anything heavier than 5 kilograms
- Do not do any heavy exercise
- Take showers instead of baths
- Avoid thermal baths or going to the sauna
- Adapt your diet to prevent constipation
- Avoid vaginal penetration
- Develop a fever
- Are unable to urinate
- Have heavy blood loss or pain
- Notice the wound starts to bleed or leak clear fluid
- Notice the wound hurts