What is urology?

Urology is the branch of medicine concerned with:

  • The urinary tract in both genders.
  • The genital tract or reproductive system in the male.

Urologists are doctors who specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the urinary tract and the male reproductive system.

Reliable information in urology: without borders

Urological diseases are common: they often cause a lot of discomforts and some can be life-threatening. It is extremely important to have reliable information in urology available on the internet: consistent and high-quality information that is relevant for everybody, regardless of what language they speak or in which country they live.

The main purpose of this website is to provide patients with reliable information in urology – unbiased, comprehensive, clear.

All the materials published here take into account the existing scientific evidence, the experience of medical experts and nurse practitioners, as well as the views of the patients. This website is part of a patient information initiative run by the European Association of Urology, an independent non-profit organisation which works to advance the level of urological care in Europe.

What are urological diseases?

Urological diseases can be very different in nature. Urologists take into account all of the functions of the urinary tract and are trained to perform surgery as well as treat by means of medicine. Often, urologists specialize to become experts in a narrower field within urology, for example urological cancer.

Urological diseases include the following:

  • Kidney and ureteral stones
  • Benign prostatic enlargement
  • Kidney cancer
  • Prostate cancer
  • Testicular cancer
  • Bladder cancer
  • Penile cancer
  • Urethral cancer
  • Overactive bladder symptoms
  • Nocturia
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Sexual dysfunction (such as erectile dysfunction)
  • Male infertility
  • Pelvic pain
  • Urological infections

How do I make an appointment with a urologist?

If you have any concerns about your health you should go to the general practitioner or family doctor, who will evaluate your situation. If necessary, you will be referred to a urologist.